Best Server Virtualization Software

Asphyxia

Owner
Administrator
Apr 25, 2015
XenServer - Citrix XenServer is a complete server virtualization software platform built on the powerful Xen hypervisor offering fast and secure virtualization.

Hyper-V - Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012 is a stand-alone product providing a simplified, reliable, cost-effective and optimized virtualization solution.

VMware vSphere - VMware vSphere Hypervisor is a free bare-metal hypervisor that virtualizes servers so you can consolidate your applications on less hardware.

KVM - KVM (for Kernel-based Virtual Machine) is an open-source virtualization solution for Linux on x86 hardware containing virtualization extensions (Intel VT or AMD-V).

OpenVZ - OpenVZ is a container-based virtualization for Linux that creates multiple secure, isolated Linux containers (otherwise known as VEs or VPSs) on a single physical server enabling better server utilization and ensuring that applications do not conflict.

Virtuozzo - Provider of Virtualization, Storage, and Cloud Infrastructure Software.

Server virtualization software divides physical servers into multiple virtual segments that can be managed independently. Server virtualization products, commonly referred to as hypervisors, are used by organizations to partition dedicated servers into scalable virtual instances called virtual private servers (VPS). Virtual private servers created with server virtualization software can each host a unique operating system and be managed independently through an integrated hosting control panel. Organizations use server virtualization software to allocate server resources among virtual machines for workload optimization. Virtual machines created with server virtualization software are often more flexible and reliable to manage than unpartitioned servers. Organizations that house and manage servers internally implement server virtualization software to reduce strains on resources. Additionally, server virtualization software is commonly used by hosting service providers to offer VPS hosting services to their customers.

To qualify for inclusion in the Server Virtualization category, a product must:

• Allow users to partition physical servers into multiple virtual instances
  • Enable easy management of scalable virtual environments
  • Offer access to a built-in or third-party control panel through which virtual servers can be managed
Source: https://www.g2crowd.com/categories/server-virtualization

Does anyone have experience with server virtualization software? If so, which do you prefer as a user or hoster?

Datalow

May 17, 2016
It depends on what you plan to do with the servers.
The most common linux virtualizations are KVM and OpenVZ.

I prefer OpenVZ because you can "oversell" the containers and it's easy to use.
Just google a bit the difference between KVM and OpenVZ so you can figure out which one is the best for you.

Agusanz

Jul 18, 2015
I has been using VMware vSphere for like 2 years now, i dont have any experience with others hypervisors yet, but i want to play with XenServer anytime soon.
sadly free license doesn't have many features to play with, you dont get any fancy features. if you're going to try this software, dont enable your free license till you're about to reach the end of your trial time. (60 days)
Hardware limitations:
CPU: 1 physical with unlimited cores
RAM: Unlimited (it was limited till vSphere 5.5 i believe)
Network: Carefull about your nics, vSphere is REALLY picky about nics :( (you can add more drivers to your iso, but you will be limited to this list: https://vibsdepot.v-front.de/wiki/index.php/List_of_currently_available_ESXi_packages)

Qraktzyl

Retired Staff
Contributor
Nov 2, 2015
If you plan on selling vps, solusvm is the way to go. I use solusvm with a openvz master to accomplish this. Whmcs is good for automating things with it too.

If you do not wish to sell, proxmox is really solid. However, they replaced openvz with LXC wich is according to me a bad thing. Yes the kernel is updated, but it's not really production environment friendly...

Asphyxia

Owner
Administrator
Apr 25, 2015
i use virtualizor for KVM automation.
Very awesome, would you be interested in making a setup how-to guide for KVM and virtualizor? I think that would be cool! If not that is okay too, I will gladly give you lifetime VIP. ;)

xv3n0mx

Mar 2, 2016
If you are not going to sell VPS and do not need a custom kernel (or windows) you can use LXC / LXD that optimizes your resources.

MrWolf

Retired Staff
Contributor
Dec 27, 2016
I personally think there is no best choice, people should explore every option available to you regardles of popularity.
Testing every each of them would give you a great perspective about them and their performance on your hardware.
Even reading about them can help you allot, so try them, and which one comes out working best on your hardware and in enviroment you need to work in.
Its very relative thing.

Natalya

Jan 14, 2016
Proxmox is stable and easy to use, I have a lot of LXC container for my projects and service and some KVM mainly for windows servers.
I think it's a very good virtualization solution for making VPS.
I just migrated to the latest version 6.1, I currently use it on 3 dedicated server hosts at OVH and a small home for testing.