Downloading the com.zone.gz file

Asphyxia

Owner
Administrator
Apr 25, 2015
I have always wondered how to get a full list of every single ".com" domain registered in the world.

I have that today!

Ask any questions below if you want more information. This is more of a quick picture tutorial showing how simple this can be!

Unzip the gzip file:
Code:
gunzip com.zone.gz

You will probably want to use vim to glance at this large com.zone file, since vim buffers the file as you go through the file's lines!

This listing goes on forever.. wow!

Want access to the com zone file? Request with Verisign. There is a PDF toward bottom of the page you must fill out and send in - follow process.

Last edited:

Asphyxia

Owner
Administrator
Apr 25, 2015
Here is an example of what one can do with such data, we can find market share of nameserver providers.

This is for .app!

We could also get IP addresses from these domains and ping all, from there we can extract IP information to find market share of web hosting providers, CMS, and so on.

Domaincontrol is GoDaddy by the way, just do some googling.

What is the .app gTLD?
.app is a gTLD in ICANN’s New gTLD Program. Google purchased the gTLD in an ICANN Auction of Last Resort in February of 2015. The TLD is of interest due to its utility in regards to branding mobile, web, and other applications.

Request access to many gTLD zone files by clicking here to start the process through ICANN.

Last edited:

null3d

Oct 9, 2015
Can you provide a download link to the .com zone file, or is that part of the contract to not share it?

Additionally, what would keep me from simply using a DNS server to query a DNS authority for the zonefile? Any difference to the result of that?

Asphyxia

Owner
Administrator
Apr 25, 2015
what would keep me from simply using a DNS server to query a DNS authority for the zonefile

---
https://superuser.com/a/24414 this
You can try to initiate a zone transfer.

You are right though, no sanely configured DNS server should still allow this nowadays. Not just because as a zone admin you don't want to expose your internals but also because AXFR responses are way bigger than the queries, so they prove to be an excellent way for DoS reflection attacks as a <100 bytes spoofable UDP package can make a server send multiple KB of response to any machine on the internet.

If you still want to try:

In the nslookup utility, you can use ls [name of domain] to get the zone information.

And if you prefer dig
---

Any difference to the result of that?
Yes, not all DNS will allow this type of behavior and the "Zone Files For Top-Level Domains (TLDs)" are specifically for the whole of that TLD or gTLD. If you find a way though, I am always curious to learn other ways to do things <3 :p

provide a download link to the .com zone file
If you are part of the "organization" doing research. I guess that could happen somehow, like for example if we are on a security team that decides to share files via TORRENT file and seed server(s). Otherwise yes, the zone file is not explicitly intended to be shared publicly.

Hinataababy

Apr 22, 2021
I have always wondered how to get a full list of every single ".com" domain registered in the world.

I have that today!

View attachment 1977

View attachment 1978

View attachment 1980

Ask any questions below if you want more information. This is more of a quick picture tutorial showing how simple this can be!

Unzip the gzip file:
Code:
gunzip com.zone.gz

You will probably want to use vim to glance at this large com.zone file, since vim buffers the file as you go through the file's lines!

View attachment 1981

View attachment 1982

This listing goes on forever.. wow!

Want access to the com zone file? Request with Verisign. There is a PDF toward bottom of the page you must fill out and send in - follow process.
Tried to download the file for some reasons it's not working ! can u help me get it ?

Asphyxia

Owner
Administrator
Apr 25, 2015
Tried to download the file for some reasons it's not working ! can u help me get it ?
You literally have been informed how to get the file.

you have to submit a request, they review it and you get FTP info then download it. Do you want me to make a video on the process lol :p