Heart Health

Jackbox

Jan 2, 2016
Hello everyone,

I typically focus on cyber security and software. Today I felt like investigating a simple "healthy" meal at Wendy's to see how safe eating a salad (Taco Salad) at Wendy's really is.

Your typical salad at Wendy's is going to come out with this much sodium:
440 mg - Salsa
150 mg - Tortilla Chips
20 mg - Light Sour Cream
1,180 mg - Wendy's Large Chili

For a grand total of 1,790 mg of sodium in your single "healthy salad" meal.

See what they list here: https://menu.wendys.com/en_US/product/taco-salad/

The American Heart Association recommends no more than 2,300 milligrams (mgs) a day and an ideal limit of no more than 1,500 mg per day for most adults.

If you ate one crispy chicken sandwich, you would be maxed out on sodium and you are already exceeding their ideal limit, in a single meal. How do you eat healthy? My friend, sodium is not all evil but at such high levels in already prepared meals like in packages, fast food restaurants, and even restaurants you go and sit down at, sodium is used in excess. This is certainly unhealthy and to avoid excessive sodium in your diet, consider buying your own meat from the store. Some meat in the store even has a lot of sodium, you may consider soaking meat in water to remove salt.

Lastly, you may consider soaking raw chicken in buttermilk to remove salt. Buttermilk has a tart flavor and comes packed with essential nutrients.

Anyone else have tips/ideas for staying healthy to keep your heart:
lub-dub
ba bump
ba boom
thump thump
and whatever noises you think a healthy heart makes.

inb4 cutout the chili, even then many people add dressings to salad which are too packed full of sodium. Their ranch dressing has 580 mg of sodium. Even if you dispose of the chili for ranch, you end up with 1,190 mg of sodium. You had better have a nearly sodium-free lunch. By far, packing your own healthy lunch is a much healthier option to stay alive.

Last edited:

MrWolf

Retired Staff
Contributor
Dec 27, 2016
Interesting post,
Its sad to see allot of people eating fast food that was previously frozen, but yeah, we have to do that sometimes, and if you check its way more expensive, creating your own green salad is 0.65€ per 1kg.

Its way better than buying fast food shop salad.

In America you don't eat that much real sausages, i live in Croatia we kill pigs to make allot of sausages and thats full of fat, if eating fat is that unhealty people in Eastern Europe would die long time ago.
Eating everything in normal amounts is heatly.

And why would someone care about numbers, people eat when they feel hungry, you shouldn't worry about that little numbers you see, i go to the gym and i see people that say that they don't eat because they go to the gym, thats ridicilous, burning your fat with excercises is not that fast or easy but you need to eat human body needs energy.

Longs story short, eat home made meals, or if you are on work or in school buy from bakery not fast food stands or shops like McDonalds,Burger King,KFC etc.

Jackbox

Jan 2, 2016
Another important thing to note is that drinking water is critical to maintaining heart health. Did you know your body is mostly water?

Make sure to drink plenty o' water, Mayo Clinic recommends drinking enough water for your lifestyle.

Here are ways water helps you:
  • Gets rid of wastes through urination, perspiration and bowel movements
  • Keeps your temperature normal by sweating and respiration
  • Lubricates and cushions joints
  • Protects sensitive tissues
  • Acts as a shock absorber for brain, spinal cord, and fetus
  • The carbohydrates and proteins that our bodies use as food are metabolized and transported by water in the bloodstream;
  • A vital nutrient to the life of every cell, acts first as a building material
---

How to combat excessive sodium intake:
Drinking water helps, while exercising --- your body sweats toxins and excess levels of sodium, and eating potassium rich foods may counter sodium by helping to eliminate wastes and lower blood pressure. High sodium intake increases blood pressure which may lead to health problems later on.

"Just drinking more water, however, is not a solution for a long-term high-sodium diet, says Reinagel. The increased blood volume that results from your body holding onto the excess water is what raises your blood pressure. About one-third of people are sensitive to sodium, according to Jonathan Williams, a physician in the Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Hypertension at Brigham and Women’s Hospital; if you are among them, you can develop high blood pressure." from livestrong

Last edited:

bulletperiperi4

Oct 25, 2022
Interesting post,
Its sad to see allot of people eating fast food that was previously frozen, but yeah, we have to do that sometimes, and if you check its way more expensive, creating your own green salad is 0.65€ per 1kg.

Its way better than buying fast food shop salad.

In America you don't eat that much real sausages, i live in Croatia we kill pigs to make allot of sausages and thats full of fat, if eating fat is that unhealty people in Eastern Europe would die long time ago.
Eating everything in normal amounts is heatly.

And why would someone care about numbers, people eat when they feel hungry, you shouldn't worry about that little numbers you see, i go to the gym and i see people that say that they don't eat because they go to the gym, thats ridicilous, burning your fat with excercises is not that fast or easy but you need to eat human body needs energy.

Longs story short, eat home made meals, or if you are on work or in school buy from bakery not fast food stands or shops like McDonalds, fillet burger ,KFC etc.
I saw mostly American people eating fast food every night.
But you are saying right, we should use salad and white chickpeas (which boost energy if you use them in salad after boiling).