How to stop DDoS

Magic

Oct 23, 2015
Hello,I run a smallcommunity on a vps protected by Voxility filters, however recently I've been getting attacks that made my server off for over an hour, ive updated to 3.0.12.2 so I believe I'm not vulnerable to that exploit, restarting my teamspeak however seems to make it work, other attacks have been shown to drop me for 2 or 3 minutes then server is ok but I believe that is just howlong for mitigation to work.

P.s.:im on ginernet and am set to permanant mitigation.

Last edited:

timodohmen

Oct 16, 2015
Mhhh you should can use an firewall script it is an iptabels script but it"s just can protect you from some littel upload dosing ... like 64 bits
Here is an link from an member of our comunity :)
https://r4p3.net/threads/my-iptables-script.313/
Its pretty nice but i prefer you just use it when you have only an TeamSpeak3 Server run on your vps :)

Magic

Oct 23, 2015
I have Teamspeak and Csgo server and some teamspeak php bots like icon manager and banner and jts3mod.is that ok?
Ok apparently all is working after I added it, I just did and it said at to iptables i said yes all looks good.
Edit:Ok my web bots on other VPS Cant connect anymore,,,

Last edited:

timodohmen

Oct 16, 2015
I have Teamspeak and Csgo server and some teamspeak php bots like icon manager and banner and jts3mod.is that ok?
Ok apparently all is working after I added it, I just did and it said at to iptables i said yes all looks good.
Edit:Ok my web bots on other VPS Cant connect anymore,,,
Mhhh do you can give me your ip of the teamspeak3 server then we can talk that makes everything easyer

Qraktzyl

Retired Staff
Contributor
Nov 2, 2015
I like how people think CSF will protect you from DDoS attacks for TeamSpeak. You will ONLY SLOW the attack, but it will still hit hard.

The solution to stop layer 4 attacks is more complicated than simply tweaking with iptables.
You have a ginernet protected VPS that has voxility protection, you need to contact them and ask them to monitor your server and to changes the rules to fit your needs / kinds of attacks you are getting. This will take some time before they find the correct combination for your particular server, but once they find it, it won't go down anymore. I have no idea if ginernet are competent however, so I don't know how long that could take.

Magic

Oct 23, 2015
I like how people think CSF will protect you from DDoS attacks for TeamSpeak. You will ONLY SLOW the attack, but it will still hit hard.

The solution to stop layer 4 attacks is more complicated than simply tweaking with iptables.
You have a ginernet protected VPS that has voxility protection, you need to contact them and ask them to monitor your server and to changes the rules to fit your needs / kinds of attacks you are getting. This will take some time before they find the correct combination for your particular server, but once they find it, it won't go down anymore. I have no idea if ginernet are competent however, so I don't know how long that could take.
DlM58U9.jpg

This is how competent they are, all they would fucking do to JUST HAVE MY SITE function is disable L7 protection, seriously thinking of switching, got any suggestions?

Qraktzyl

Retired Staff
Contributor
Nov 2, 2015
Wow. That's shit support lol.

I would recommend going anywhere but there. LOL. No seriously, I was in your situation, but I had a dedidicated server at OVH that comes with the normal protection. Had to upgrade to a "game" server for the attacks to cease.

Magic

Oct 23, 2015
A
Wow. That's shit support lol.

I would recommend going anywhere but there. LOL. No seriously, I was in your situation, but I had a dedidicated server at OVH that comes with the normal protection. Had to upgrade to a "game" server for the attacks to cease.
Alright what besides ovh gaming do you recommend? My budget is 20 euro tops

Magic

Oct 23, 2015
Is their protection equivalent/better?uptime? If it's good I'll switch over in 2 days instead of renewing

Qraktzyl

Retired Staff
Contributor
Nov 2, 2015
Is their protection equivalent/better?uptime? If it's good I'll switch over in 2 days instead of renewing
Better. They have Voxility + own setup and they are willing to make the protection work lol. I myself tested around 30 different solutions, and was never able to drop my blazingfast.io teamspeak server with the correct rules. It required some time to find the correct rules however.

For Layer 7, I wasn't able to do anything to my webserver, it mitigated perfectly. But you have to provide them with your domain for L7 protection.

I would be with blazingfast.io if I was living in Europe.

Magic

Oct 23, 2015
Better. They have Voxility + own setup and they are willing to make the protection work lol. I myself tested around 30 different solutions, and was never able to drop my blazingfast.io teamspeak server with the correct rules. It required some time to find the correct rules however.

For Layer 7, I wasn't able to do anything to my webserver, it mitigated perfectly. But you have to provide them with your domain for L7 protection.

I would be with blazingfast.io if I was living in Europe.
Alright, definetly doing the switch, you mentioned however it takes sometime to find the correct rules, is that something on my side or theirs? Thanks for helping I really appreciate it.

Qraktzyl

Retired Staff
Contributor
Nov 2, 2015
Alright, definetly doing the switch, you mentioned however it takes sometime to find the correct rules, is that something on my side or theirs? Thanks for helping I really appreciate it.
Theirs, you need to be patient. Depending of a lot of factors, this can take some time.

Also please keep us to date on how it's going, it could help a lot of people here. I tested them a while ago and things might have changed.