Parrot Security OS [Open-Source Debian Based Security Oriented OS]

rofl cake

May 25, 2015
Source:
Source 2:

Parrot Security is an operating system based on Debian GNU/Linux mixed with Frozenbox OS and Kali linux in order to provide the best penetration and security testing experience

Parrot Security is an operating system for IT security and penetration testing developed by the Frozenbox Dev Team. It is a GNU/Linux distribution based on Debian and mixed with Kali.

Parrot uses Kali repositories in order to take latest updats for almost all the tools, but it also has its own dedicated repository where all the custom packets are kept. This is why this distro is not just a simple Kali “mod” but entire new concept which relies on Kali’s tool repositories. As such, it introduces a lot of new features and different developing choices.

Parrot uses MATE as a Desktop Environment. Lightweight and powerful interface is derived from famous Gnome 2, and thanks to FrozenBox highly customizable with captivating icons, ad-hoc themes and wallpapers. System look is proposed and designed by the community members and also members of Frozenbox Network, who are closely following the development of this project.
Various interface changes make the whole system much fast, light and responsive, almost as much as Backbox with its xfce (another lighter interface). The system is in fact spec’d to run even on a machine with 180MB of RAM and work correctly without the video card support.

As Lorenzo Faletra (EclipseSpark), the founder of the project, says, the system is inspired by Kali, but it aims to“fix” all of its weakness and use all of its strong features. So, for example, we can find entire menu structure from Kali intact, respecting pentest layout standard on which so many of the users are now accustom to.
0iN69rb.png

The tool set is pretty much the same, although the Parrot team did made some cuts. Most of the cuts are made with the intention to make the live system light enough so it can perform better. Guided by the idea that not everyone needs to develop applications for the Android straight from a live CD, hack radio frequencies other than WiFi and blue-tooth etc, distro was cut to a ‘reasonable’ size it ‘should’ perform better on ‘weak’ systems. Of course, all tools can be installed latter if they are needed.
WPtyQf4.png

This is the reasoning behind the ‘lightening’ term which distro creators use. They are basing their opinion on the people who work in the world of pen-testing and who were able to give useful feedback about distro development. If you really miss all the tools that Kali provide you can install all of them in one run. Just pull a parrot-tools-full meta-package. This is also doable for full installation ( “home edition”) which will also install tools like libreoffice, rhythmbox, shotwell, openshot.. and you can use the system for everyday tasks.
WyLNjgk.png

Parrot Security OS is a distro designed for people who love programming. It comes with interpreters and compilers for the most famous programming languages. Moreover, right click on your desktop or on a file manager window, you can access a handy drop down menu which allows instant creation of files with custom extension divided by category. You can create html, css, javascript, php, ruby , perl, python, falcon files and many others on the fly.

Frozenbox network has forged good relations with the “pirate crew” – a gang of time wasting pirates drinking rum on the bridge of their ship. The name Parrot, is inspired by a parrot a captain’s shoulder – inevitable element in all the cartoons about pirates.
ScreenShots
Download OS

Last edited:

rofl cake

May 25, 2015
Best part of this OS is;
The project is certified to run over machines with 180MB of RAM and work correctly without the video card support.
Did I mention its OpenSource? Indeed it is.

Developers are so confident about their product that they even provide public tutorials on pen testing:
FrozenboxChannel

You have to admit, Pen testing never looked so sexy :D

Last edited:

Derp

Retired Staff
Contributor
Apr 30, 2015
I Was about to post a thread about Parrot, (i remember posting some comments about it in the old forum). But as i can see you've already done a great job.

I think this deserves a sticky :)

rofl cake

May 25, 2015
I Was about to post a thread about Parrot, (i remember posting some comments about it in the old forum). But as i can see you've already done a great job.

I think this deserves a sticky :)
The system looks sexy as fuck and it's easy to use. Been playing around with it for a few days now and I don't think I will go back to backtrack to be honest lol.

Nix

Jul 17, 2015
I've been using Parrot for a couple of months now.

It has some major flaws and is less polished than Kali, but it is still fun to work with. It provides some out-of-the-box functionality that is simply too difficult to configure on a kali machine.

rofl cake

May 25, 2015
Parrot Security OS 2.1 Murdock Released

Version 2.1 Came out recently and has gone through an extensive re-work.
Parrot includes a set of metapackages to easily install further tools:
Code:
parrot-tools-full (installs all the tools provided by our repository)
parrot-tools-arm (provides the tools useful in an embedded environment)
parrot-tools-cloud (provides the tools included in the Cloud edition)
parrot-meta-forensic (installs further forensic tools)
parrot-meta-gpu (installs further tools for gpu hashing)
parrot-meta-pwtools (installs further tools for password cracking)
parrot-meta-rfid (installs further radio frequency analysis tools)
parrot-meta-sdr (installs further software defined radio tools)
parrot-meta-voip (installs further voip tools)
parrot-meta-web (installs further web pentesting tools)
parrot-meta-wireless (installs further tools for wifi cracking)
5SCxXHk.png

Download
Review

How To Install on Virtual Box

Last edited: