TeamSpeak 5 Beta

Daica

Aug 18, 2015
We can't buy Teamspeak because Teamspeak is like that crazy person that holds on to trash and think it's worth millions of dollars when really, it's worth only a few dollars.
I tried to buy a car from someone and he tried to sell it to me for 25,000. A brand new current model car is at 30,000 with even more features...

Asphyxia

Owner
Administrator
Apr 25, 2015
yea but discord had 100million dollars
Discord did not have $100,000,000. They received venture capital funds. They got investors to put money "into the bucket".

Ever been inside of a church?

Welcome to church, sit down, religious stuff happens, now we are passing the offering basket.

o059u8f.png

In a similar but totally different way, churches and businesses collect funds to give back to the community (or investors).

In the case of a typical Christian church, people pool money together, and then trips are made to disaster areas or to give food to those in need.

In business, it is more about "We want $20,000 and we are doing this, can you agree to keep $20,000 into us for X amount of time, and then we plan to make profit so you can take money back."

Need a better example? "Give us $50,000 for TeamSpeak. Thanks!" ... We then have TeamSpeak licensing/rights. Will the price be closer to a million? Maybe, oh well.. we find what they want and get whatever is needed by: fundraising, investors.

I suspect TeamSpeak is not highly profitable currently, so we can probably pull their selling price down for their licensing or outright acquisition transfer from TeamSpeak Systems to "us", I of course mean a registered business.

The reason to do this is: TeamSpeak could be a far greater platform with the right developers and focus. To change such politically sensitive areas, an acquisition is required. This means we may need funds to handle TeamSpeak and get the TeamSpeak 5 we want, not whatever they think is best (which I am guessing TeamSpeak 5 is not wonderful considering how long they have been dragging their feet on a release).

bindik

VIP
May 10, 2016
I still don't get it... Why not creating your own product?
Its the brand. Nobody would switch to something new when there is discord. Imagine all your friends using teamspeak/discord and telling your friends to download ZULULVOIP and play with you, their reaction would most likely be that you should just connect to their ts/discord server as that would be faster.

Harrasan

Restricted
Jul 18, 2015
No offense, but I haven't seen any code from the R4P3 community (except Splamys stuff maybe) that would convince me it's a good idea having them buy TS and develop it with "better" developers.

bindik

VIP
May 10, 2016
No offense, but I haven't seen any code from the R4P3 community (except Splamys stuff maybe) that would convince me it's a good idea having them buy TS and develop it with "better" developers.
Agreed, only way I could imagine it is open sourcing it.

Asphyxia

Owner
Administrator
Apr 25, 2015
but I haven't seen any code from the R4P3 community
TeamSpeak's client is developed upon the Qt framework (C++ framework complete with cross-platform libraries).

R4P3 is not a Qt developer community, we are simply a community focused on security. If we looked for a Qt developer we would ask for: A Qt certification with some form of security-related training. Or evidence they know C++ well and can work with the TeamSpeak codebase comfortably.

We could outsource a lot of development to https://www.freelancer.com/u/Davepsingh23 .. or post job ads up similar to this https://www.upwork.com/job/are-looking-for-freelancer-developer_~0164707eeb2c76a6ae/

The point is Discord didn't just take a random person and say "Make Discord", they hired and sourced their staff from either technical recruiters, job ads (postings), and various other methods.

You seem to be a negative person, there is a lot more TeamSpeak 5 could be and should become. If they do not stay competitive and as relevant as Discord, they are going away. That simple!

Harrasan

Restricted
Jul 18, 2015
From the screenshots they've published, I'd say TS5 is no longer Qt based. Looks like a web-based UI so I'm guessing either Electron or CEF (which would be awesome). A complete re-write would also explain why this is taking so long, although I think one year of development is not much for a client UI with all the features TS provides.
Agreed, only way I could imagine it is open sourcing it.
That would be great, but with ReSpeak, we already have a kind-of open-source TS clientlib right? So again... I don't see a point in trying to buy TS.

Asphyxia

Owner
Administrator
Apr 25, 2015
I don't see a point in trying to buy TS.
They said Q4 last year would be the release for TS5. We are almost halfway through the year, what do we have? Pictures, not even high-res - not even video!

Anyone could manage TeamSpeak 5 better than TeamSpeak Systems. The point is having the OFFICIAL codebase and not some crashy "private server". While a "private server" may be necessary for World of Warcraft, TeamSpeak is not that profitable and could just be acquired for official codebase and to make improvements to the software.

Maybe I am wrong though?

Daica

Aug 18, 2015
They said Q4 last year would be the release for TS5. We are almost halfway through the year, what do we have? Pictures, not even high-res - not even video!

Anyone could manage TeamSpeak 5 better than TeamSpeak Systems. The point is having the OFFICIAL codebase and not some crashy "private server". While a "private server" may be necessary for World of Warcraft, TeamSpeak is not that profitable and could just be acquired for official codebase and to make improvements to the software.

Maybe I am wrong though?

I don't think we're going to see TS5 this year. What they mean by releasing TS5 is probably a preview and alpha tests

Asphyxia

Owner
Administrator
Apr 25, 2015
What they mean by releasing TS5 is probably a preview and alpha tests
They should have been developing this a lot sooner.

With the improvements between TS2 and TS3, I would have expected TeamSpeak 5 (well actually TeamSpeak 4).. already to be out. TeamSpeak 3 has been out for almost 8 years (stable).

They scratched TS2 to make TS3 fresh. Now TS5 is going to basically be a decorated fork of TeamSpeak 3. We may have nicer themes (UI), I am doubting any other useful features though.

I can think of several integrations of TeamSpeak's platform that could be heavily monetized to make a lot of money! That is what investors want.

TeamSpeak wants to be profitable but they are focusing on the wrong areas, dried up markets, and overall I strongly feel their funds are evaporating.

Once they burn through money they have to pay their employees, their USA team (on LinkedIn shows 8 people) will disappear. Their German team shows up even smaller on LinkedIn.
Their CEO has no LinkedIn profile picture! The company looks like hell. We need to fundraise, gather investors, and get a bunch of highly experienced foreign developers that accept low pay. For example, some developers in Asian areas accept $15 hourly for C++ programming.

We can contract the TeamSpeak 5 development out to people: faster, more experienced, and more affordable.

If you think I am wrong, I encourage you to wait for TeamSpeak 5 to suck very bad and underdeliver.. ;) we have been doing security volunteering for these folks a number of years. I know the market, I followed the shift to Discord despite not liking Discord much for privacy reasons!

Last edited:

FromLondon

Honk Honk
TeamSpeak Developer
VIP
May 20, 2016

Maybe I am wrong though?
Amount in 10,000$ might be not enough. Just a hosters generating around 300,000 - 500,000$ of license bills per month is misleading possibility of success ideas

Asphyxia

Owner
Administrator
Apr 25, 2015
Just a hosters generating around

TeamSpeak's ranking has been steadily down with little sign of revival. This is the equivalent of a human turning pale white and their chest not rising (no breathing activity).

It's time to grab the shock paddles and push the blood. TeamSpeak servers are going down, not increasing. There are about ~9,000 servers right now with less than half a million users and most are probably bots or AFK. Overall, the outlook for TeamSpeak appears certainly grim!

They can sell or sink.

Their competitors have amassed many millions of users in short time. Why? Better features, better business, and marketing. TeamSpeak is quiet and persistently performs poorly in many areas.

If TeamSpeak comes back from this, I will stand corrected. I fear there is too much confusion around their release date, slow progress, and many other concerns!

Asphyxia

Owner
Administrator
Apr 25, 2015
@Ondra3211 I know they have claimed they no longer use Qt.

This is going to slow software development down if they are not going to use a framework. They could at least inform us what framework(s) they will be developing on.

We will keep waiting o_O

bindik

VIP
May 10, 2016
@Ondra3211 I know they have claimed they no longer use Qt.

This is going to slow software development down if they are not going to use a framework. They could at least inform us what framework(s) they will be developing on.

We will keep waiting o_O
I expect fucking Electron :D Chromium everywhere

Asphyxia

Owner
Administrator
Apr 25, 2015
fucking Electron

A good quote is
Yes - electron apps are slower and eat more ram - but someone else is paying for that.

Keep in mind though, TeamSpeak 5 is playing "catch up" to Discord. Their market has already been stolen for Discord's simplicity, marketing, and overall investor success.

TeamSpeak is trying to mimic Discord in so many ways, to not see this would be blind.

Their frantic attempt to update their platform has them offering false promises of a client preview.

It's time to buy TeamSpeak's codebase and get a development team, or release the source openly, or wait for their company to go under.

In 2020, I expect TeamSpeak to fall apart if their TeamSpeak 5 client is not a major success.

Daica

Aug 18, 2015
A good quote is

Keep in mind though, TeamSpeak 5 is playing "catch up" to Discord. Their market has already been stolen for Discord's simplicity, marketing, and overall investor success.

TeamSpeak is trying to mimic Discord in so many ways, to not see this would be blind.

Their frantic attempt to update their platform has them offering false promises of a client preview.

It's time to buy TeamSpeak's codebase and get a development team, or release the source openly, or wait for their company to go under.

In 2020, I expect TeamSpeak to fall apart if their TeamSpeak 5 client is not a major success.

Those moron's in charge are never going to open-source Teamspeak even if it dies.
Best hope is one of the developers leak it

Asphyxia

Owner
Administrator
Apr 25, 2015
Best hope is one of the developers leak it
At one point we could have executed remote code on 2 TeamSpeak CEOs systems. We are an ethical team though... but having the source would have been cool lol.