• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Updating / Upgrading XenForo On Debian

Asphyxia

Web Admin
Administrator
So, you get that nifty little
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.
, now what? This guide is intended to help new forum admins. I am not responsible for any damages caused by trying to follow this guide.

You should have SSH access to your server, I recommend using
(on Windows) or if you're on a Linux-based machine simply ssh remote_username@remote_host should get you in. If you need
, if you need

Using SCP in SSH or WinSCP, you are able to copy your zip file into your website's root directory. This is typically /var/www/html or /var/www if you are unsure, you can use your SSH client (
) to check on a Debian system:
grep -i 'Directory /' /etc/apache2/sites-available/000-default.conf
<Directory /var/www/html>

Run these commands:
Code:
sudo apt-get install unzip
unzip xenfor{PRESS_TAB_KEY... seriously I mean it}
Now, you must copy the upload folder to your XenForo directory. I am going to assume your XenForo was installed in your website's root directory (../ from upload as opposed to ../xenforo/ or ../forum/). Pay close attention to the "../" below.

Code:
cd upload
cp -r * ../
Now that you have done the above, you should be able to navigate to yoursite.com/install to upgrade your forum. Do not forget to remove the litter from the zip file.

This could be automated, but I would rather not store credentials nor auth tokens into my account(s) in plaintext. ;)

Last edited: