I don't get what you're doing

Harrasan

Restricted
Jul 18, 2015
I have a few questions regarding the R4P3 community:
  1. You guys keep saying that you're a security research team. If that's true, why are you actively developing and publishing cracks for the TS3 server software? Imho, this has nothing to do with security. It's just illegal.
  2. Why do you guys create simple one-click crash tools that every hairless monkey on this planet can use to disturb other people by crashing their servers and/or clients? If you find a bug (and I think that finding bugs is a good thing), why not reporting it and publish an open-source PoC script so everyone can see how exactly this is done and maybe use your work as a foundation to find more issues in the software? If your intention is to make TeamSpeak more secure, this should be in your best interest. No offense, but I think what you're doing is against every hacker ethics I know. Share your knowledge instead of behaving like an elite group of 1337 h4x0r gods and stop selling your silly VIP membership stuff. If someone wants to support you guys, you can ask for donations.
  3. Why are members of your team actively crashing popular TS3 servers and behaving like stupid aholes (like this guy Bluscream for example)? Also, creating threads in this forum to make fun of some TS staff members and the company itself makes you look like silly kids. If you want to be taken seriously, start behaving like professionals.
Basically, I think what you're doing is good... forcing TS to take action on their mistakes and tighten up their security. But if you want to be taken seriously, remove the script kiddies from your team, share your knowledge with others and re-think your VIP membership policy.

ehthe

Retired Staff
Contributor
Apr 26, 2015
  • You guys keep saying that you're a security research team. If that's true, why are you actively developing and publishing cracks for the TS3 server software? Imho, this has nothing to do with security. It's just illegal.
Well right now it doesn't have much to do with security yes, for now it's more like a challenge, and to understand how it works than anything else. But one day if a vuln is discovered in the way teamspeak handles license verification (who knows), then it might well become a security topic.

every hairless monkey on this planet can use to disturb other people
:D

Why are members of your team actively crashing popular TS3 servers and behaving like stupid aholes (like this guy Bluscream for example)?
Is there only bluscream or someone else ? In anyway I agree not really "professional".

Also, creating threads in this forum to make fun of some TS staff members and the company itself makes you look like silly kids. If you want to be taken seriously, start behaving like professionals.
I agree, but heh some find it funny...

Harrasan

Restricted
Jul 18, 2015
Well right now it doesn't have much to do with security yes, for now it's more like a challenge to understand than anything else. But one day if a vuln is discovered in the way teamspeak handles license verification (who knows), then it might well become a security topic.
I see what you're saying and I partially agree, but this also leads to my second question. If this is all about research (not selling VIP memberships) why don't you just explain to everyone how this is done so people can crack the server themselves if they want to?

ehthe

Retired Staff
Contributor
Apr 26, 2015
Well the public crack is indeed public, there is a thread about creating your own crack.
If you're talking about VIP cracks, well I can speak for mine : I'm selfish :p

There's also the problem of "explaining to everyone". The quality of the forum is now really low because of script kiddies coming and asking for help on how to set up a freaking php server... I don't know what to do about it, so I just ignore low quality post, but that's not a solution.

Harrasan

Restricted
Jul 18, 2015
There's also the problem of "explaining to everyone". The quality of the forum is now really low because of script kiddies coming and asking for help on how to set up a freaking php server... I don't know what to do about it, so I just ignore low quality post, but that's not a solution.
Glad to hear someone agrees with me on that part.

:D

Believe me, I also think that the TS software and the entire company have more than enough issues:
  1. They treat people in their forums like shit (especially Chris and this dante guy).
  2. They've made mistakes in their code that a 3 yr old wouldn't have.
  3. Their SDKs are a bunch of crap (inconsistent parameter order, weird naming convention, missing convenience functions, missing features).
  4. Their UI is uuuuuugly (not as bad as Mumble but still)
  5. They use a plain text command protocol (I mean c'mon... never heard of protocol buffers?!?)
Imho, TeamSpeak will be dead in 2-3 years. I've switched to Discord months ago.

Is there only bluscream or someone else ? In anyway I agree not really "professional".
At least that's the name I've heard a lot of times and the way he's acting in your forum kinda confirms the theory.

Derp

Retired Staff
Contributor
Apr 30, 2015
why not reporting it and publish an open-source PoC script so everyone can see how exactly this is done and maybe use your work as a foundation to find more issues in the software?
You mean just like what we did with the RFI Exploit?!
The thing is. You rarely see people really interested in finding and then reporting back these vulnerabilities! If we gave everyone the tools to do what we do what would stop people from discovering a very malicious vulnerability and keeping it for themselves? I myself am an open-source supporter, but knowing the actual security condition in which teamspeak is, Open Sourcing our software would do more bad than good..(personal opinion)

Share your knowledge instead of behaving like an elite group of 1337 h4x0r gods and stop selling your silly VIP membership stuff. If someone wants to support you guys, you can ask for donations.
We are not "selling" our VIP Membership! VIP Status, is something that you get after you donate, and to give that status a true meaning, You also get access to the VIP Forum!

Why are members of your team actively crashing popular TS3 servers and behaving like stupid aholes (like this guy Bluscream for example)?
User @Bluscream is in no way related to the DevTeam. Anyway, he is indeed a moderator in one of our forums (Teamspeak support) if I recall correctly. I would be very thankful if you could provide some proof, backing your statement!

Also, creating threads in this forum to make fun of some TS staff members and the company itself makes you look like silly kids. If you want to be taken seriously, start behaving like professionals.
I Personally find those posts mildly amusing! Everyone makes mistakes, especially people in charge of *something*, I see nothing bad on showing a mod's mistakes, especially funny ones! As for the "start behaving like professionals" part! I see no lack of professionalism on any of our threads! Ofcourse there are indeed "Fun Threads", and if you're basing your statement on those kind of threads then I'm sorry to hear that!

As a final note, I thank you for your feedback and time!

-Derp

Last edited:

Agusanz

Jul 18, 2015
Why do you guys create simple one-click crash tools that every hairless monkey on this planet can use to disturb other people by crashing their servers and/or clients?

Agree. There's so many people asking "how to install php?", "How to run php on windows?", asking for help with basic errors.. please.
Lame-tools should be taken off or at least provide it with a solid fix so if someone google the problem, he will find and answer here and not on teamspeak.com, that would be great..
im kinda tired of people searching the top 10 gametracker servers and pressing a fucking button to crash everyone online

dedmen

TeamSpeak Developer
Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
I have a few questions regarding the R4P3 community:
  1. You guys keep saying that you're a security research team. If that's true, why are you actively developing and publishing cracks for the TS3 server software? Imho, this has nothing to do with security. It's just illegal.
  2. Why do you guys create simple one-click crash tools that every hairless monkey on this planet can use to disturb other people by crashing their servers and/or clients? If you find a bug (and I think that finding bugs is a good thing), why not reporting it and publish an open-source PoC script so everyone can see how exactly this is done and maybe use your work as a foundation to find more issues in the software? If your intention is to make TeamSpeak more secure, this should be in your best interest. No offense, but I think what you're doing is against every hacker ethics I know. Share your knowledge instead of behaving like an elite group of 1337 h4x0r gods and stop selling your silly VIP membership stuff. If someone wants to support you guys, you can ask for donations.

1. and also 2. All crashers/cracks we release are intended to show Teamspeak that they need to fix that stuff immediatly. And we only release most stuff to VIP so that we keep the amount of people that can use said crashers low. Low means still high enough that Teamspeak knows its urgent.. And Low enough that not every Teamspeak Server on the planet will be taken down. I also dont like to see that our VIPs just go around randomly crashing people. But imagine we made the PoC open-source.. Not just our VIPs would have access to that.. everyone would have. Imagine what kind of hell would break loose.
And anyway we are only releasing our crashers if Teamspeak doesnt take action on vulnerabilities reported by us, or if the knowledge is already publicly available. As with our new Client-Crasher for 3.0.19 Everyone who gets on this Forum can download it and crash other people with that.. But also everyone that goes to the official Teamspeak forum can copy the crash string and crash other people with that.

Harrasan

Restricted
Jul 18, 2015
User @Bluscream is in no way related to the DevTeam. Anyway, he is indeed a moderator in one of our forums (Teamspeak support) if I recall correctly. I would be very thankful if you could provide some proof, backing your statement!
I can only tell you what I've been told, but as he's making fun of people he crashed even here in the forum, I guess that's more than enough proof...

https://r4p3.net/threads/r4p3-teamspeak-server-crash-till-3-0-12-4-beta-1.1386/page-2#post-11289

Derp

Retired Staff
Contributor
Apr 30, 2015
Thank you!

On a side note, I just noticed that my thread was moved into a section that's invisible to guests. Why?
Feedback | Criticism forum should be visible to everyone! Maybe a permission bug? @Supervisor

Do you want me to move it back to the Discussion forum?

Qraktzyl

Retired Staff
Contributor
Nov 2, 2015
I can only tell you what I've been told, but as he's making fun of people he crashed even here in the forum, I guess that's more than enough proof...

https://r4p3.net/threads/r4p3-teamspeak-server-crash-till-3-0-12-4-beta-1.1386/page-2#post-11289
While I have to admit this is not really about security, someone sending legal threats to someone crashing a teamspeak server is very funny. Let me explain you why. We, at the r4p3 team, all have different reason for being active on the team. This is my personal opinion, the piece of my mind that has been buried during so long that has to get out when people say we are bad.

Crashing a teamspeak server : The service is unavailable, no1 can connect to it. It doesn't cause a physical injury, it is not a threat to public health or safety, it doesn't affect a government computer system, and it doesn't make the teamspeak server owner loose 5000$ in value during a one year period. It also doesn't affect any medical or financial system whatsoever. Those are the examples of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA) of 1984, which is a bit obsolete (Obama gov is updating that one currently).

So if you sue me for bringing your server offline, your just gonna pay my defense fees cause I'm gonna win this shit and make you pay for it lol. If you can prove that you contacted 911 in an emergency situation from your TeamSpeak client, you might win tough.
I'm not a lawyer, far from it. But there's a common sense to it. In september 2015, my server kept crashing for some reason. R4P3.net (disconnected) was the message I would get.
Who the f is r4p3.net? I visited the forum, fell in love. I jumped in the R4P3 boat. Life is all about adaptation. Jump on the r4p3 boat, be notified about what's happening in the TeamSpeak scene and stop being mad at people crashing your server. Our messages to TeamSpeak about exploits have been ignored.

Personally, I don't even crash teamspeak servers. When a crash is released, I just update my teamspeak server version. But I can't be mad at the people crashing the servers, it might be the only way that TeamSpeak understands how fucking retarded they are. I can make fun of them, I'm paying for a fucking 300$ USD license/year, so yeah, I can say whatever I want when I want about them. I'm also retarded cause I'm paying not only for a shit software, but for something released free here. I think they deserve half of it for releasing a shitty software, but I can't decide what my community want as a way to communicate.

I can take dante and Chris and make them my little bitches if I want and make fun of them, they work for a shit company that release shit software that I'm paying for.

When I see someone trying or crashing my server, I'm proud. Because it's not a bad thing, we (customers), have the power to decide how the softwares are tailored to our needs. The R4P3 team is just the middle man in this relation that warns TeamSpeak systems about the job they weren't able to accomplish, wich is securing their software.

Oh yeah, if you like being spied on, then discord is the way to go.
Don't take what I said as an attack, I'm not attacking anyone. Just stating the facts.

0x0539

Retired Staff
Contributor
Jan 30, 2016
While I have to admit this is not really about security, someone sending legal threats to someone crashing a teamspeak server is very funny. Let me explain you why. We, at the r4p3 team, all have different reason for being active on the team. This is my personal opinion, the piece of my mind that has been buried during so long that has to get out when people say we are bad.

Crashing a teamspeak server : The service is unavailable, no1 can connect to it. It doesn't cause a physical injury, it is not a threat to public health or safety, it doesn't affect a government computer system, and it doesn't make the teamspeak server owner loose 5000$ in value during a one year period. It also doesn't affect any medical or financial system whatsoever. Those are the examples of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA) of 1984, which is a bit obsolete (Obama gov is updating that one currently).

So if you sue me for bringing your server offline, your just gonna pay my defense fees cause I'm gonna win this shit and make you pay for it lol. If you can prove that you contacted 911 in an emergency situation from your TeamSpeak client, you might win tough.
I'm not a lawyer, far from it. But there's a common sense to it. In september 2015, my server kept crashing for some reason. R4P3.net (disconnected) was the message I would get.
Who the f is r4p3.net? I visited the forum, fell in love. I jumped in the R4P3 boat. Life is all about adaptation. Jump on the r4p3 boat, be notified about what's happening in the TeamSpeak scene and stop being mad at people crashing your server. Our messages to TeamSpeak about exploits have been ignored.

Personally, I don't even crash teamspeak servers. When a crash is released, I just update my teamspeak server version. But I can't be mad at the people crashing the servers, it might be the only way that TeamSpeak understands how fucking retarded they are. I can make fun of them, I'm paying for a fucking 300$ USD license/year, so yeah, I can say whatever I want when I want about them. I'm also retarded cause I'm paying not only for a shit software, but for something released free here. I think they deserve half of it for releasing a shitty software, but I can't decide what my community want as a way to communicate.

I can take dante and Chris and make them my little bitches if I want and make fun of them, they work for a shit company that release shit software that I'm paying for.

When I see someone trying or crashing my server, I'm proud. Because it's not a bad thing, we (customers), have the power to decide how the softwares are tailored to our needs. The R4P3 team is just the middle man in this relation that warns TeamSpeak systems about the job they weren't able to accomplish, wich is securing their software.

Oh yeah, if you like being spied on, then discord is the way to go.
Don't take what I said as an attack, I'm not attacking anyone. Just stating the facts.

Didn't have to explain, Bluscream simply crashed his own server and mailed himself.
https://r4p3.net/threads/r4p3-teamspeak-server-crash-till-3-0-12-4-beta-1.1386/page-2#post-11294