TeamSpeak 3.0.19.1 Client Released

kaidinak

Oct 11, 2015
=== Client Release 3.0.19.1 25 Apr 2016
+ Added polish and portugese translations
+ Added support for graylisted servers
- Fixed possible crash on weird unicode characters

The client communicates to our greylist (similar to the blackist) and informs the user in case that there is something wrong with the server.
The difference to the blacklist is, the user gets warned on each connect but still will be able to join.

(c) smartest man on teamspeak.com

Last edited by a moderator:

0x0539

Retired Staff
Contributor
Jan 30, 2016
The client communicates to our greylist (similar to the blackist) and informs the user in case that there is something wrong with the server.
The difference to the blacklist is, the user gets warned on each connect but still will be able to join.
More info here: TeamSpeak Forums

ehthe

Retired Staff
Contributor
Apr 26, 2015
Has anyone found the greylist url ? It seems there isn't one, probably a different value returned by blacklist.teamspeak.com

panteL

Restricted
Mar 17, 2016
Is the Crack still whitelisted when I use the tutorial on the server Crack thread? Hope it :D

ololoev

Feb 8, 2016
Very interesting update (greylist) but at this time there are no more additional info about this list :(

Supervisor

Administrator
Apr 27, 2015
ScP@TeamSpeakforum said:
So... let me get back to topic and try to explain the new graylist feature and why we think it's important. The key issue with blacklisting is that we're punish the customer/user who, in most cases, has no idea that he or she is paying for a server that's not licensed properly. So our primary intention with the graylist is to inform the customer/user that something is wrong with the server... whether it's a cracked version or something else that's violating out license agreement. So instead of just preventing the TeamSpeak 3 Client from connecting, we're instead showing a (hopefully) meaningful message.
attachment.php

Asphyxia

Owner
Administrator
Apr 25, 2015
I wonder what happens when the blacklist and greylist are ignored, does a virus break out of the binary and eat your system? :D

What this probably means:
  1. We will have to start releasing fixed clients with an emphasis on privacy and security.
  2. The server binaries will need stripping of the grey by the grey. Reporting to TeamSpeak each and every server a client goes to is sort of like... "tracking" and that is a little bit creepy, eh?
hjXNUkn.jpg

No problem guys.

Kieran

Tag me
Contributor
Jan 1, 2016
That's interesting. Still not the best way imo
Reporting to TeamSpeak each and every server a client goes to is sort of like... "tracking" and that is a little bit creepy, eh?
Yea that is kinda creepy/scary.

Harrasan

Restricted
Jul 18, 2015
Yea that is kinda creepy/scary.
I can't imagine they're logging communication with their graylist box. Guess that would fill up the disk of that server pretty fast.

:p

An official statement would be nice tho. Can someone ask in that thread? I don't have an account at TS.

Edit: nvm, I registered and asked for a statement.

Last edited:

TripZZZZ

Apr 24, 2016
Yeah they don't track servers you connect to although they have mentioned in that grey list thread on teamspeak forums that they have features that may stop illegal servers. Also they ignored the statement saying "Why don't the teamspeak team do anything when they know people used cracked lic". Plus Dante can't spell for shit.

Asphyxia

Owner
Administrator
Apr 25, 2015
Well they certainly could do so. Every connection a ts servers sends its ip to blacklist.teamspeak.com
Exactly, pretty much how it works:

A client is trying to connect to a server, that client's IP address is going over to TeamSpeak's server(s). TeamSpeak may easily log the IP addresses of people using their software both client/server. That is tracking, tracking is an invasion of privacy and that is creepy. :cool:

The only thing we rely on is trusting the integrity of TeamSpeak to not track users, we will never know. We can of course monitor traffic/bandwidth and filter out their servers, block the addresses although this would be required on both the server and client for proper anonymity.

That's what happens when you use proprietary software that has licenses though, I do suppose. I think there needs to be a push for something closer to Mumble that works more like TeamSpeak (nicer interface, extra features) --- without all the security vulnerabilities, licensing/tracking and.. probably less QT with more mobile/web support for free. Definitely not centralized like Discord.

Last edited:

Harrasan

Restricted
Jul 18, 2015
Since SCP said they're not tracking, I'm going to believe it. That guys response seems legit and honest. But on the other hand: what would be the benefit of tracking? I can't think of a use-case where TS could use the data in a useful way. The usual purpose of tracking is advertising. But there's no ad in the client/server.

Finding cracked servers maybe, but I think a number of connections to an ip does not necessarily mean a server is cracked or not licensed. So I don't think they can do that as it would require manual checking.

TripZZZZ

Apr 24, 2016
Yeah that would be one of the big questions, teamspeak claim they are developing new features to stop this happening is there a chance that they could fully stop cracked server hosting?

Qraktzyl

Retired Staff
Contributor
Nov 2, 2015
Yeah that would be one of the big questions, teamspeak claim they are developing new features to stop this happening is there a chance that they could fully stop cracked server hosting?
It takes them 5 days to release hotfixes for critical exploits that could crash servers.
Maybe next time Halley's comet is visible from earth (In 2061).